5-6 December 2012 in Bogota, Columbia
The second biannual HTAi Latin America Regional Meeting was held in Bogota, Columbia on December 5 and 6, 2012. This academic conference facilitated a discussion of political and technical issues around HTA and fostered the development of working groups and global networks in HTA.
This meeting brought together those working in HTA agencies from across the Americas, with participants from Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, Mexico, Paraguay, Peru, Spain, Uruguay and USA, including many members of HTAi. Also in attendance was Dr. Clifford Goodman, President of HTAi, along with other HTAi Board members. The Meeting coincided with the establishment of Colombia’s new HTA agency, IETS. Congratulations to Hector Castro, Executive Director of IETS, and to his team!
The Meeting provided a very successful forum to discuss a wide range of issues, challenges and opportunities, including:
- The various HTA agency models across Latin America.
- The connections between HTA and decision-making/makers in publically funded systems.
- Jurisdictional differences between Latin American nations in relation to responsibility and the regulatory interface for decision-making.
- Best practices in the dissemination of assessment outcomes to inform decision-making at various levels across health care systems (nationally, regionally, hospital-level).
- The capacity of various HTA/ETA agencies to carry out assessments and how prioritization takes place.
- The incorporation of HTA into the regulatory decision-making process.
- The branding of HTA/ETA and the meaning of words like health and technology in different cultures and contexts.
- Experiences in building capacity for both carrying out assessments and training and the critical relationships between universities, HTA agencies and policy makers.
HTAi Latin American Regional Meeting (Spanish)
Full meeting program (Spanish)
Full meeting program (English)
A key PAHO resolution on HTA was shared at the meeting:
Conference Slide Presentations
Day 1: December 5, 2012 - Morning
- Emergence of HTA Agencies globally - Chris Henshall
- HTA in the Americas - Alexandre Lemgrumber
- HTA implementation ~ Brazil case - Flavia Tavares Elias
- Successful Institutionalization of HTA in Latin America ~ the case of Uruguay - Ana Perez Alarico Rodriguez
- Policy Analysis on the set up of an HTA institution ~ the case of IETS in Colombia - Hector Castro
Day 1: December 5, 2012 - Afternoon
- Translating evidence into recommendations - Holger Schunneman
- Cost-effectiveness, Budget impact analysis, CE thresholds tools to inform decision makers. When and how to use them? - Andres Pichon-Riviere
- Alternative methods to conduct HTA. "Moving beyond CS thresholds" - Ramiro Guerrero
Day 2: December 6, 2012 - Morning
- Hospital based Health Technology Assessment: a rising need - Laura Sampietro-Colom
- Incorporating stakeholders in the HTA process - Cliff Goodman
- Incorporating equity and social values from an institutional and global perspective - Inaki Gutierrez-Ibarluzea
- HTAi Policy Forum: managed entry schemes and disinvestment - Chris Henshall
Day 2: December 6, 2012 - Afternoon
- Regional capacities to conduct HTA focused on medical equipment - Veronica Gallegos
- Health Technology Assessment from an equity perspective
- Organizational interactions in the framework of the prioritization process - C Gutierrez
- Incorporating stakeholders in the HTA process