1981-1984: The Sorcerers Apprentice
The Sorcerers Apprentice - The Roots of the International Journal of Technology Assessmnet in Health Care
With the July 2009 publication of the special supplement of the International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care on the history of HTA members may be interested to see the earlier publication that laid the groundwork for the Journal and the international societies for HTA: The Sorcerer’s Apprentice.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice was published from 1981 to 1984 and was the first effort to bring people around the world together and share information on HTA. The newsletter was published by the Congressional Office of Technology Assessment (OTA) in the United States and was edited by Clyde Behney.
This newsletter was followed by the current Journal in 1984; and these two publications led directly to the establishment of an International Society in HTA. The first was the International Society for of Technology Assessment in Health Care (ISTAHC) established in 1984 and Health Technology Assessment (HTAi) in 2003.
Ten issues of The Sorcerer’s Apprentice are available below as PDF files.
More information on The Sorcerers Apprentice as well ISTAHC and HTAi is available in the supplementary issue of the Journal (Volume 25, Supplement 1) on the history of HTA.
- TheSorcerersApprenticeV1N1555 KVolume 1, Issue 1, Charter Issue, January 1981, 10 pages.
- TheSorcerersApprenticeV1N21.5 MVolume 1, Number 2, July 1981, 21 pages.
- TheSorcerersApprenticeV2N11.6 MVolume 2, Number 1, January 1982, 20 pages.
- TheSorcerersApprenticeV2N21.4 MVolume 2, Number 2, April 1982, 20 pages.
- TheSorcerersApprenticeV2N31.7 MVolume 2, Number 3, July 1982, 26 pages.
- TheSorcerersApprenticeV2N42.8 MVolume 2, Number 4, October 1982, 29 pages.
- TheSorcerersApprenticeV3N13.3 MVolume 3, Number 1, January 1983, 40 pages.
- TheSorcerersApprenticeV3N22.2 MVolume 3, Number 2, April 1983, 23 pages.
- TheSorcerersApprenticeV3N32.1 MVolume 3, Number 3, July 2003, 24 pages.
- TheSorcerersApprenticeV3N42.8 MVolume 3, Number 4, March 1984, 12 pages.